Cockroaches are very adaptable home intruders and are known for hiding their presence. They use any small crevice or gap to gain entry with the following being the most popular entry points:
- Any holes – These should be plugged with copper mesh or steel wool.
- Doors and windows – Make sure these shut properly and are airtight.In case they are not, weather stripping can be done.
- Large openings – The openings in the house which may be on the wall, should be sealed with cement or plaster.
- Vents – The vents should be blocked preferably with screens making sure that the ventilation is not affected.
- Cleanliness -T he home should be kept clean all the time.
- Pipes and sinks – A leaky pipe or a dripping sink are good water sources for cockroaches so these need to be repaired.
The different types of cockroaches are:
The German cockroaches are located in plumbing fixtures like in the bathroom or kitchen. They like warm and moist areas like in appliances and furnaces and dwell in cracks or under drawers where they multiply. The brown-banded cockroaches are found in areas which are usually warm These nest inside radios,appliances,computers and televisions.
American cockroaches are found in dark,moist places like a furnance or boiler room.These are therefore common in commercial buildings.
Oriental cockroaches like cooler damp places and are common in basements and crawl spaces,under refrigerators,sinks and washing machines.
To prevent cockroach infestation .the food in the home should be sealed and stored properly.The kitchen should be cleaned daily to prevent crumbs.Garbage needs to be disposed off regularly and stored in sealed containers. Cabinets and shelves should be clean and dry at all times.Cracks and holes in homes should be sealed including entry points for utilities and pipes.Basements and crawl spaces should be well ventilated and dry.